Monday, 11 January 2016

Amy Watches - Sherlock: The Abominable Bride


I am a big fan of Sherlock. When January 1st came around I was so focused on the fact that Sherlock was on that I forgot for a little bit that it was actually New Years Day! With this special we're getting one Sherlock related thing per year instead of two years - I feel so spoiled. Here are some thought I had whilst watching! -

- Yay it's exactly like the modern one but in the past!
- Sherlock looks so good. He's so sassy I love him
- Oh Jawn, ur moustache is so beautiful
- "We shall have to go deep" "deep into myself" That's what she said!
- The cinematography in this show is so friggin cool
- OH NO JAWN DID NOT JUST SEXIST UP IN THIS BITCH
- YAS MARY SASS THE FUCK OUT OF HIM
- Omg Molly is dressed as a man to be taken seriously as a doctor
- Jawn u r makin me so mad rn
- Omg Mycroft?!
- 1800's Jawn is a dick and I wanna slap him rn
- Really, u go into a maze in the dark and when it's foggy?
- Yass Mary!
- There are so many of my favourite quotes in this
- At least Jawn has common sense enough to light a candle in the dark
- God these guys r so sexist and they don't even realise
- Oh Mrs Hudson, bae!
- MORIARTY?! I know ur not really there but Ily anyway
- Omg there are so many inuendos
- MODERN DAY SHERLOCK?!
- Sassy Sherlock
- Sassy Watson
- Sassy Mary
- Yass Mary outdo them all!
- YASSS MA LADIES
- YASS MOLLY
- Sherlock no, don't touch the skeleton
- URM NOPE, NO, SKELETON ATTACK
- Awww Mycroft legit cares about him
- Aw u bumholes ur gonna leave it on a cliffhanger?
- The End!

I honestly feel a bit torn with this Sherlock episode. I loved the plot and the flashes between present and olden day, but I can't help thinking it didn't do feminism the justice it deserves. I mean the episode tried to tackle the issue of women being disrespected (which I'm all for) but not once in the entire thing did two women actually speak to each other. It also felt as if the women fighting for women's rights were portrayed as some kind of cult of crazy murderers - not cool.

I'm glad Moriarty was in this episode, he was super creepy and I love him as a villain. Andrew Scott plays him so well, he's everything I imagine a villain should be. I liked the episode I just think it missed a big opportunity to properly represent women and the brides storyline felt a little unfinished by the end. All of that said I though it was a good episode for entertainments sake, with classic Sherlock twists and turns (although most of my family were confused by the end). I'm just sad that we have to wait until 2017 for series 4!

Amy Rating - 7/10 Consider yourself approved.

What did you think of Sherlock: The Abominable Bride?

Amy x

No comments :

Post a Comment